The last purchase by the volunteer Niagara company was of a single-pump Amoskeag engine, in 1865, which is used to this day as an extra engine in Glen wood.
Efforts TO procurteam fire engine.
Suggested BY THE ' killing oireman while ON duty.
Bakewell, John Leyburn, and.White, Assistant Chief Engineer, and.Edward de Lassus, chief clerk of the Eire Bureau, was born in New Orleans in 1864, and is descended from the early settlers of Louisiana.Captain smith,.The bucket tradition is based on the Act of April 18, 1798, compell- ing house-holders to keep leather buckets for the purpose of ex- tinguishing fires, which, originally passed for Philadelphia, had its provisions extended to Pittsburgh by the Act incorporating the city.While the men were in the heat of battle with the flames a shriek from the rear of the upper floor stopped for a moment the beating of every heart.Wilson and other well-known citizens, many of whom are living.It was darker in there than a coal pit at midnight, and we had the prospect of a choice between roasting and smothering.In it hung the first public bell rung west of the Allegheny Mountains.
Could Marina's spirit be materialized to-day, it would writhe at the sight of a " dude." She was more efi"ective in securing workers than half a dozen captains, for those out of reach of her bucket 'ould feel the weight of her tongue if she.
The machine was taken to the scene of the fire with a whoop only known to those who have heard the volunteer fire- men getting into action ; but the Vigilant engine would be left all alone in her glory to view the scene.
He was transferred from.
The efforts of citizens and firemen to stay the course of the disaster were almost superhuman.
Magee, John Larimer,.
The engine- house was next situated at the corner of Cherry Alley and Sixth, after the commencement of the tunnel under Grant's Hill, and erected on ground made from filling the Hog Pond with earth from the excavation.
Jacob Landers, Thirteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers.There are fewer alarms sent into.Whitten, John Wrigley,.14 : Captain, Leonard Smith ; lieutenant, William.At the burn- ing of the Garfield School building on Rebecca street in December, 1886,.Lieutenant Bamford, of Truck C, served in three regiments the Seventh Pennsylvania for three months, the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania for three years, and the Eighty-eighth Pennsylvania till the war was over.The first engine-house for the Neptune was built at the corner of Sixth Avenue and Wood street, on the lot of the First Presbyterian Church.The building was furnished with hose on every floor, but the flames moved so rapidly that attempts to man the apparatus were vain.THE military discount running shoes fire- MEN TO CO-operate with THE police.The total expense of running the company from June, 1870, until January 1, 1871, including cost of apparatus, was 8,169.84.150 ' OUR firemen.Shaw, Secretary ; and John Hamill, Captain.In October, 1887, the burning of Frick's coal mine at Mount Pleasant created considerable excitement, and an application was made to this city for help.